You now have the option of using a propane powered outboard motors instead of a gasoline or electric motor. LEHR is the first company to mass produce outboards that use propane as the operating fuel. Their line of models are 2.5hp., 5hp., 9.9hp., 15hp. and a 25hp engine. The engines are similar to gas powered engines and the boat propellers they use are non-thru hub style props that are made out of aluminum only. The performance is comparable to gas engines.
The advantages of these motors compared to gasoline powered motors:
- Propane burns up to fifty times cleaner than regular gasoline.
- Engine starts are easier because the propane fuel canisters are pressurized.
- There is no gasoline smell.
- Ethanol that is a problem for gasoline engines is not in propane.
- There is no lubricating oil that needs to be added.
- Refueling is easier. You can just unscrew an empty canister and then screw in a full one.
- This can take less than a minute.
The disadvantages of these propane powered outboard motors compared to gasoline powered motors:
- There is a limited number of models available.
- Propane engines are a little more expensive to purchase.
- They are heavier than gas engines.
- There are less service dealers around that you can take the engine in to for repairs.
- No engine no matter what is used as fuel is perfect but you do have choices on what kind is best for you.
Please check out the boat propellers we offer on our website or you can call us at 1-800-573-5533